Friday, December 16, 2016

How To Deal With An Evil Trump Presidency


The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

As with many Americans, the past few weeks have been ones of anger, confusion and anguish, ones of trying to figure out just what to say and do about Donald Trump being elected. I have struggled with the call for unity from Trump, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and thousands of other leaders. I saw Michelle Obama give a speech in which she said, "We may be Democrats or Republicans, but first we are Americans." I am sorry but I do not buy it.

I have thought about it and  I and talked about it with friends. I have considered what it means to be an American and I do not think it means just following blindly along some path. I have read about unity effort but I do not buy it this time. That is in part because of an old newspaper headline from August, 1934. It said, "Today Hitler is All of Germany." The headline followed a slogan from that year: "Hitler for Germany - All of Germany for Hitler." In addition, in his book, Mein Kampf, the Nazi leader wrote, "The great masses of the people will more easily fall victims to a big lie than to a small one."

It is this that has taken me to the position that unity is vastly overrated. Unity behind a lying, homophobic, misogynistic, nationalistic, bombastic egomaniac is to be a traitor to what millions of other people and I believe. It is not that the Republicans won. I would not be complaining (okay, I might do a little complaining) if the winner were say John Kasich or George Pataki or Marco Rubio or Jeb Bush. I could accept that. So, when Republicans say it's just sour grapes, they could not be more wrong. It is really about the winner, Donald Trump.


There are people who go around now saying that all those disgusting things Trump said and did during the campaign were just "campaign tactics," and he shouldn't be held accountable for that. Trump says that people who are protesting are doing so because they "just don't know me." But, I have come to understand Donald Trump and I know what he stands for. I know he wants to reverse Roe v. Wade. I know he wants to affirm Citizens United. I know he wants to ban Muslims from migrating to the U.S. and have every Muslim on a watch-list. He wants people to be able to keep guns and shoot anyone who invades their space and ask questions later. He wants  to build  a border-wall and wants to deport immigrants- particularly Mexican immigrants. He wants the individual  states to be allowed to ban gay marriage. He thinks that climate change is a hoax created by "fantasy scientists" and/or the Chinese. He is in bed with Vladimir Putin and he thinks Putin is a great leader. And, he has said, "What good is having nuclear weapons of you don't use them."


He has named a bigot and a white supremacist named Steve Bannon as his senior policy advisor. As the head of the alt-right news website Breitbart, Bannon has presided over headlines like "Gabby Giffords: The Gun Control Movement's Human Shield," "Birth Control Makes Women Unattractive and Crazy" and "Huma Abedin: Most Likely A Saudi Spy."

Steve Bannon

The fact that Bannon gets within a mile of the White House scares the daylights out of me. This man is a strategic beast. To think that the President of the United States is going to listen to such a craven flame-thrower frightens the hell out of me.

All these Republicans, including many who opposed Trump, are now climbing on the bandwagon. "Oh, he didn't mean everything he said," the refrain goes. "He was just saying those things to win the election." If true, that is almost more damning. How in the world can we ever believe a President who was dropping verbal bombs in order to win an election? The answer is we can't.

What all of this has done is to make up my mind. I am not going to give him time nor give him a chance. I don't owe him a chance. He owes me, and the millions like me, a chance. He needs to understand that more than half the voters in this country voted against him and he lost the popular vote by several million votes. It is only because of the archaic Electoral College that he is President. I know that it is wishful thinking but he needs to understand that the majority of citizens do not  trust him, do not like him and do not want him to be President. We are against almost everything he said that got massive media attention.

If you agree with me fight back. START WITH NOT WATCHIG THE INAUGRATION. MAKE IT THE LOWEST VIEWED INAUGRATION IN TV AND MEDIA HISTORY! Tell him by letters and phone calls you do not want him to be President. Go to a march and demonstrate. Make calls to congressmen and senators- and not just Democrats but Republicans too.
_______________________


While campaigning for the Nazi party in Germany, Hitler gave a speech in 1933.

"If I am ever really in power, the destruction of the Jews will be my first and most important job," he said. "As soon as I have power, I shall have gallows after gallows erected, for example, in Munich on the Marienplatz - as many of them as traffic allows. Then the Jews will be hanged one after another, and they will stay hanging until they stink. They will stay hanging as long as hygienically possible. As soon as they are untied, then the next group will follow and that will continue until the last Jew in Munich is exterminated. Exactly the same procedure will be followed in other cities until Germany is cleansed of the last Jew!"


Hitler said that in a campaign speech before coming to power. Did he mean it then?


No comments:

Post a Comment